- Human Services
- Adult Protection
Adult Protection is a federally mandated service in which social workers investigate allegations of maltreatment and arrange services to help assure the safety of vulnerable adults in Stevens County. Stevens County Prioritization Guidelines are available upon request.
A vulnerable adult is anyone 18 years of age or older that:
- lives in a facility such as a nursing home, assisted living, or adult foster care
- receives licensed services in their home such as nursing visits
- has a physical or mental impairment that impairs their ability to care for themselves and protect themselves from maltreatment
Mandated Reporters such as persons in medical occupations, social services, education, law enforcement and caregivers for vulnerable adults are required to report known or suspected maltreatment. All other persons are voluntary reporters. The Minnesota Vulnerable Adults Act provides immunity from civil and criminal liability when a report is submitted in good faith.
To make a report, please contact the Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center (MAARC) state-wide common entry point at 844-880-1574.
Website access for mandated reporters: Report Adult Abuse Form
S.A.F.E Elders (Stop Abuse & Financial Exploitation)
Abuse, neglect, and exploitation of elders may not be obvious. However, there are often warning signs that you or a loved one may be at risk. It’s never an easy conversation to have, but it may help save you or a loved one.
Start by asking three basic questions:
1. Is someone taking or using your money without your permission?
2. Are you afraid of anyone?
3. Is anybody hurting you?
Follow Up Questions
Have you or a loved one had a partner, family member, or trusted caregiver that:
- Embarrasses you by calling you bad names or putting you down?
- Looks at you or acts in ways that scare you?
- Destroys, damages, or gives away your property?
- Hides details about your finances or property from you?
- Controls what you do, who you see, or where you go?
- Controls your money or legal documents without your permission?
- Uses your money in ways that do not benefit you?
- Makes all of the decisions without your input?
- Threatens to hurt you?
- Shoves, slaps, grabs, or hits you?
- Ignores your physical, emotional, or medical needs?
- Takes money that you need to pay your bills?
- Acts like everything is fine when others around me say I should be concerned?