The Marriage Licenses and those records filed in the Stevens County Recorder’s office date back to the 1870’s. The birth and death records filed in Stevens County also date back to the 1870’s.

Marriage Licenses

Marriage License Application Process

  • The application form can be completed online at The application does NOT need to be printed by the applicants. Signatures will be done in person at the time of completion and payment at the Recorder’s Office.  A valid photo ID is required.  Both applicants must appear in person to complete the application process within 90 days.  If one of the applicants cannot appear in person, please contact the Recorder’s Office to discuss your options.  
  • There is no waiting period for the marriage license.  It is valid for a period of 6 months and only valid in the State of Minnesota.  You do not need to be married in the Minnesota County from which you obtained your license.
  • Permanent address for mailing the Certified Marriage Certificate to the couple after the marriage ceremony. If you are unsure of an address, a parent’s address or some other permanent address can be used.
  • Applicants requesting a name change that have a felony conviction on or after August 1, 2000 are subject to a 30 day waiting period. Additional paperwork will be required.
  • If you have been previously married and are divorced, you must provide the divorce date including the place of termination and court where terminated.  If you are widowed, please provide the date and place of death.
  • Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.

 Marriage Application Fees 

            $115.00 – no premarital education

            $40.00 – reduced marriage license fee 

(Applies to applicants who have completed at least 12 hours of premarital education.  In order to qualify for the discount,  the applicants must present a signed, dated and notarized or sealed Educator’s Statement.

 Cash, check or credit card accepted.  Credit card fee of 2.5% with a minimum fee of $1.50 applies.  

Application fees are non-refundable.

 Certified Marriage Certificate

The Certified Marriage Certificate will be mailed back to the couple after we receive the Marriage Certificate from the person performing the ceremony.  This certified copy can be used to change your name on Passports, Drivers License and Social Security cards.   

 You can obtain the Application to change your name on your Social Security Card (Form SS-5) by visiting the Social Security website at

 Marriage Certificates

To Request a Certified Marriage Certificate, please fill out the following form: Marriage Record Request (PDF)